Centro Editoriale Valtortiano (CEV)
The Centro Editoriale Valtortiano (CEV), or Valtorta Publishing Center, was established in 1985 by Emilio Pisani, the son of Michele Pisani (1896-1963), who was the first publisher of Maria Valtorta (1897-1961).
The Center’s charter states that “its specific, main purpose is to develop, document, and disseminate knowledge concerning Maria Valtorta, regarding her person, her writings, and her ideals; in relation to her person, by way of historical and documentary research, gathering testimony, conserving her belongings, reverence for her name and memory, and action to make her better known in the civil, cultural, and ecclesiastical domains; in relation to her writings, by way of printing and selling her works and all documentation by and about her in Italian and in translations; in relation to her ideals, by way of disseminating her religious teaching, particularly as regards biblical subjects, of a Catholic orientation.”
The CEV is headquartered in Isola del Liri, a pleasant town in Latium, central Italy, receiving its name from the Liri River, which divides behind an old castle, flows into a valley, forming two waterfalls, and comes together again after encircling the center of the town.
The river’s waters fostered the paper mills which some French entrepreneurs —who had arrived with Joachim Murat, chosen as King of Naples by Napoleon Bonaparte—wanted to install within the town of Isola, which became one of the leading European centers for paper production, accompanied by paper and felt industries.
In the following century book production also thrived at a printing-publishing establishment which worked mainly for religious institutes and the Congregations of the Holy See. It was thus possible for its owner, Michele Pisani, to come to know of the manuscripts of Maria Valtorta’s work and to become her intrepid publisher.
The CEV emerged from that printing and publishing enterprise as its Valtortan branch, which has now become a tree. Included among the export publishers who receive special recognition each year from the Italian Ministry for Cultural Goods, in 1995 the CEV was also awarded the Culture Prize by the Presidency of the Council of Ministers.